WARNING : NEXTGEN / Performance Navigation
This Is NOT A Test
(Special warning for Charlotte, NC; the area experience that generated this article.)
If you live within a thirty mile radius of a major airport. Then you MUST read this! You and your family’s life, home, health, property values, and more are in grave danger from a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) implementation of an aircraft GPS navigation system called NextGen (aka Performance Navigation). Living in a NextGen corridor is almost impossible; read on.
Dozens of medical studies indicate that exposure to jet noise may contribute to any or all of the following problems. Remember!; these studies were completed BEFORE NextGen was rolled out. NextGen cannot possibly do anything other than act as a multiplier of previous study results:
- PTSD – Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome
- Increased risk of coronary heart disease over normal rates
- 60% in men & 80% in women
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Increased risk of heart attack
- each 10 dB rise in jet noise equals a minimum 3.5% increase in hospital cardiac admissions
- Increased risk of severe depression
- Damage to children’s cognitive abilities
- Damage to or loss of hearing
- Sleep deprivation leading to health problems, job disruption or loss, and other symptoms/results
- Increased risk of domestic violence
- Increased risk of substance abuse
- Property value collapse
- And more ……..
A NextGen corridor is formed when aircraft use GPS coordinates to fly just like an automobile does on the road.
A highway is a very static route for vehicles; its installed path may change, but very slowly over time and with plenty of advanced notice.
A NextGen corridor however can change from one minute to the next based on the whims of flight traffic control. Imagine the Greek Hydra as a metaphor for NextGen corridors and their unpredictability and lethality. If you’ve lived in the same location for your entire life and never had a jet noise problem; NextGen may have a Hydra heading your way tomorrow. I promise you it’s a bad dream you will never forget. Highway construction includes compensation for those losing property in its path. NextGen gets to destroy you for free.
ANYONE in a thirty mile radius of a NextGen airport can easily become a NextGen victim. Gone are the days of “when you live in line with a runway you will have to tolerate jet noise”. NextGen makes everyone a potential victim. You can become one simply because the airlines woke up one morning and found that a five degree shift of a corridor would save them a penny a gallon on fuel. You can go to bed on Tuesday and wake up on Wednesday and watch your lifestyle destroyed and your property investment cut by 50% or more before the day is out.
And, thirty miles is not an exaggeration. The Charlotte Douglas International Airport has received complaints from as far out as Lincolnton, NC; twenty eight miles.
Another negative aspect of NextGen is that it holds flights at lower altitudes for much longer periods assuring ground dwellers much lengthier experiences of discomfort. Departures have been observed remaining at altitudes of 3 to 4000 feet over Franklin Square in Gastonia, NC; twelve miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport. I watch them fly low, slow and level over my home every day now, showing no aspiration for altitude; in a line, one every 30 seconds, for hours on end. From the dawn of time to December 13, 2014 my property had never been disturbed by jet noise; the Hydra is here.
If you don’t want this terror hanging around your neighborhood then now is the time to tell anyone and everyone about this danger. You must stand up now or you’ll have no one else to blame when NextGen takes your life away.
Good luck; beware the Hydra hiding in your local airport.
- I’m not a Luddite; I work in IT.
- I’m not against air travel.
- I think NextGen is a reasonable attempt at improving aviation but it appears to have been developed with a complete disregard to surface dwelling human beings. The airspace belongs to all of us; or at least it should, even though now it appears to be the sole domain of the airline industry and we beneath it are expendable in the face of their profits. Unfortunately the USDOT and the FAA who are supposed to promote the health and wellbeing of the American citizenry first aren’t willing to do so. Neither it seems are the political representatives we send to the legislative branch and President Obama and USDOT Secretary Anthony Foxx are good friends so no help is coming form that quarter either.
- I’m not an advocate of dismantling NextGen but I am strongly opposed to its disregard for earth’s inhabitants and promote redesign to incorporate measures to safeguard our health and wellbeing here on the ground.
Follow us on Twitter @stopcltnoise.